[Norfolk]: College of the Guardians of the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Walsingham, . Second printing. Octavo (8 5/8 inches tall), staple-bound in original brown paper wrappers. Modest rusting to staples, gentle creasing along fore-edge, faint blemish to blank rear wrapper. A near-fine copy. Item #964
"ARE THESE FOUNDATIONS THOSE OF THE ANCIENT SHRINE?" Rare second impression of the account of the discoveries at Our Lady of Walsingham in the 1930's—illustrated with photographs and sketched plans and scarce in ephemeral original paper wrappers. Sponsored by the Rev. A Hope Patten, the Anglican Vicar of Walsingham, and privately printed for circulation among the members of the College of the Guardians of the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Walsingham. Printed without a title page, the text consists of three parts: "With the dissolution of the Priory in 1538 all traces of the Chapel of Our Lady and indeed all tradition as to the site of the Chapel vanished." The 1931 chapel construction uncovered an ancient well, filled with shoes at the bottom, and two stone walls (denoting a small rectangular space), leading to the question: "Are these foundations those of the ancient shrine?" The text ends with a Note: "It is a significant fact that the newly discovered foundations are orientated and are exactly parallel to the Priory Church." The text concludes with an illustrated appendix of 7 photographs and 4 sketched plans, including a double-page folding sketch: "Ancient foundations discovered on the site of the present sanctuary of Our Lady of Walsingham, 1931-1937, now being covered by the extension of the Shrine Chapel" (Hubert B.A. Adderley, January 1938). This second impression (denoted at bottom of front wrapper) is undated but the concluding Note (initialed "H.A.") mentions a compass bearing taken in March 1938.