New York: St. Bartholomew's Church, 1935. First edition. Octavo (9 1/2 inches tall), original gilt blue cloth. Slight slacking to cracked lower front hinge, interior plates and text clean, bright boards, corners sharp. Very good indeed. Item #916
"CONSERVING ALL THAT IS GOOD IN THE THOUGHT OF THE AGES, IT HAS EVER BEEN HOSPITABLE TO NEW DEVELOPMENTS" First edition of this handsome chronicle of the parish of Saint Bartholomew's Church in the City of New York. Founded in 1835 and first located downtown at Lafayette and Great Jones, Saint Bartholomew's has migrated uptown along with its congregation. The parish moved north in 1872, relocating first to Madison Avenue and 44th Street, and then again to the splendid Romanesque church on Park Avenue in 1918. This celebration of the one hundredth anniversary celebration of a church on the move is beautifully illustrated with a mix of architectural exteriors, including a frontispiece (captioned, "The First St. Bartholomew's Church, 1835-1872") and elegant photogravure portraits of Rectors, Church Wardens and Vestrymen. The history is divided by chapters named for each of the rectors: Charles Vernon Kelly ("an Orangeman"), Lewis P.W. Balch, Samuel Cooke, David H. Greer, Leighton Parks, Robert Norwood, George Paull Torrence Sargent. The lengthy Foreword by Rector Emeritus Dr. Leighton Parks (Rector 1904-1925) provides a brief sketch of each rector. Dr. Parks stresses that, for all of its architectural beauty, the unity of the congregation "and not the building—is the glory of St. Bartholomew's." Dr. Chorley's brief Preface expresses "a profound appreciation" to the Rectors of Saint Bartholomew's for "bringing out the treasury of truth things new and old. Conserving all that is good in the thought of the ages, it has ever been hospitable to new developments. Therein lies its great service and the justification for the preservation of its history." With an Appendix in two parts, including Biographical Sketches, and an Architectural Description of St. Bartholomew's Church. The Romanesque church on Park Avenue is fronted by Stanford White's great triple portal: "This portal, by Messrs. McKim, Mead & White, was incorporated some years ago in the old church. It is universally regarded, by Architects and public alike, as one of the most beautiful things, perhaps the most beautiful thing of its kind in America." (Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue). Bibliography and Index.