New York: James Pott and Company, 1897. Quarto (10 inches tall), original white textured paper boards with embossed medallion, original white folding cardboard box. Fine book, early owner signature, modest soiling and minor wear to original cardboard box. Item #914
"AND SO ARE WE BROUGHT TO THE GREAT COMMEMORATIVE DAY. WHAT HATH GOD WROUGHT?" Splendid privately-published history of Trinity Church, a May 1897 celebration of two hundred years of this sanctuary of tradition and permanence in the heart of lower Manhattan. Founded by a Charter in May 1696 as a part of the colonial Church of England, Trinity Church is located at Wall Street and Broadway in what was then the northern limits of Old New York. The volume is comprised of I. The Order of Service for Wednesday May the Fifth 1897. II. The Rector's Pastoral Letter, III. Memorandum History of the Parish 1697-1897, IV. Rectors of Trinity Church, V. Churches of Trinity Parish. VI. Illustrations. The pastoral letter by the Rev. Morgan Dix rejoices: "And so are we brought to this great commemorative day. What hath God wrought? The old parish renews her youth. Eight chapels are required to accommodate her people. Of the churches of the Parish, every one stands today on its original foundation; not one has been removed. The lower part of Manhattan Island is cheerfully and gladly regarded as the proper field of our missionary work." Printed throughout in red-and-black, with both illustrated and printed title pages. The tissue-guarded illustrated plates, gathered in the back half of the book, include 11 portraits and 17 architectural exteriors, rendered in photogravure. Concludes with a colophon: "Privately published for the Rector, Church Warden, and Vestrymen of Trinity Church in the City of New York, by James Pott and Company / Designs and Illustrations furnished by Tiffany and Company / New York, A.D. 1897." Designs by Tiffany and Company include the title page, the Bicentennial page, and the black-and-white Churches of Trinity Parish page introducing the plates of the church buildings. This copy is complete as issued with the original folding cardboard box, stamped in gilt inside the lid: "Tiffany & Co / Union Square, New York."