New York: Church of Saint Luke in the Fields, 1981. Oblong portfolio (8 7/8 by 11 7/8 inches), illustrated paper wrappers, separate wood-engraved plate, signed and captioned in pencil. Illustration measures 4 1/2 by 7 1/4 inches. Fine. Item #810
THE CHURCH OF SAINT LUKE IN THE FIELDS Lovely engraved print of the Church of Saint Luke in the Fields—housed loose in the original printed wrapper and suitable for framing. St. Luke's—which opened its doors "in the fields" of the country village of Greenwich in 1822—was victimized by a "ruinous fire" in March 1981. To aid the restoration efforts, this fine streetscape depicting the Church on Hudson Street was engraved and printed in two colors as a "Keepsake" for parishioners and friends of the Church (intended, it seems, for framing). Illustrated and engraved by John De Pol (with printed caption and signature under the image) accompanied by an historical essay by Don Wesely: "Built in the simple Federal style, St. Luke's, unlike most of the early 'Gothick' Revival churches which were built of stone, was constructed of brick. It is almost austere in its simplicity, in its lack of ornamentation, having no steeple atop its tower, no decorative detail, and depending for its effect on scale and mass and the placement of its windows piercing the unadorned brick walls." A publication statement on the back of the wrapper notes: "This wood-engraving of St. Luke's was drawn and incised on two pieces of South American endgrain boxwood as a contribution to the church's restoration by John De Pol, N.A. It is printed here for the first time." A lovely piece of ephemera.