Item #1463 Altar Plate of the King's Chapel of the Savoy. The Royal Victorian Order.
Altar Plate of the King's Chapel of the Savoy
Altar Plate of the King's Chapel of the Savoy
Altar Plate of the King's Chapel of the Savoy
Altar Plate of the King's Chapel of the Savoy
Altar Plate of the King's Chapel of the Savoy
Altar Plate of the King's Chapel of the Savoy
Altar Plate of the King's Chapel of the Savoy
Altar Plate of the King's Chapel of the Savoy

Altar Plate of the King's Chapel of the Savoy

New York: The Cathedral of Saint John the Divine, 1946. Limited edition. Folio (12 1/4 inches tall), original red cloth, blank spine, gilt emblem to front board. Fine. Item #1463

"FULL SPIRITUAL AND VISIBLE UNITY BETWEEN THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH IN THIS LAND AND OUR MOTHER CHURCH IN ENGLAND"

Limited edition—copy No. 101 of only 101 copies—an illustrated record of the safekeeping of "The Savoy Silver" by the Cathedral of St. John the Divine during the Second World War. An elegant folio volume marking the "sacred and indestructible friendship between America and Great Britain," with the title page emblem of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine and bound with the arms of the Bishop of New York.

The Savoy Chapel in London, home to the Royal Victorian Order (established in 1896 by Queen Victoria), was obviously in great danger during the intense aerial bombardments of the Blitz (significant damage was inflicted on the chapel's stained-glass windows).
Numbering 16 items, these "Ornaments of God's Altar" were placed in the care of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in June 1942 and not returned until December 1945. Prefaced with a comment by the Sacrist, the Rev. Edward N. West: "This collection of service leaflets, addresses, sermons and pictures is the record of the events with which "The Savoy Silver' is forever associated" (E.N.W.).

"Especially prepared for the archives of the Order by the Canon Sacrist of the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine," this "fitting symbol of unbreakable friendship" was handsomely illustrated with a large frontispiece of the Cathedral and 12 additional black-and-white photographs, printed separately and mounted on red-ruled leaves. Limited edition: numbered 101 in red ink, this is the last of the 101 copies printed for the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in April 1946. The colophon notes that Copy No. 1 "has been bound in full red Peccary, hand tooled in gold, moire lined, for Presentation to His Majesty the King." A fine copy of a beautiful production.

Price: $200.00

See all items in Anglican, Book Arts, History, Photography
See all items by