London: Chatto & Windus, 1936. Original charcoal paper boards (6 1/2 inches tall), gilt spine, uncut, original dust wrapper. Nearly Fine. Item #1424
"A SCHOOL FOR THE SERVICE OF GOD"
Handsome edition of The Rule of St. Benedict—with an engraved frontispiece portrait of St. Benedict—complete as published with the scarce original dust wrapper.
A text of fundamental importance to the history of the West, this edition was translated by Aidan Cardinal Gasquet. Carefully distinguishing the Western "spirit of monasticism" from its Eastern beginnings, the English Benedictine's lengthy introductory essay describes how St. Benedict, "the providential instrument of regeneration," reformed the Eastern practices. "There is probably no other book, save of course the Holy Bible, which with such certainty can be claimed as a chief factor in the work of European civilization."
"Because Benedict does not regard materiality as the source of evil, he is more lenient than his Eastern counterparts in matters pertaining to the body. His monks are never deprived of food or sleep, and penance does not take the form of physical torture or privation" (Frank N. Magill). Printed on laid paper and published as volume XXV in the Medieval Library series (under the general editorship of Sir Israel Gollancz). The back panel of the dust wrapper lists the full complement of series titles, 1—26. Magill. Masterpieces of Christian Literature.